Friday, March 5, 2010

What do you mean by shopping without leaving the house?

Hi,

This is my blog about living in Cairo. There are many Cairo's in the world, but I mean Egypt. Every once in a while, by which I mean that I try to post weekly but it turns out to be less frequently, I blog about the differences between Cairo and the other places I lived and worked.

This time I want to convey a little bit of my experiences with going shopping. People that know me, know that I am a true consumer, yet I don't like to go shopping. I don't like to be around all these people who want to buy something. Maybe because deep down, I consider them competition. They might want to buy the same stuff as I do, and maybe they take the last one. I hate it when that happens, but always keep my cool about it. No shop-rage for me... violence is never an answer.
Because I don't like to go shopping, unless I'm pretty much the only one in the shop, which rarely happens. So internet is the answer for me, and I'm really happy with the likes of Amazon.com, albert.nl and all the shop-comparison-sites. But here's the problem, there's hardly any webshop in Egypt. Many shops and brands have a web-pressence but pretty much none have a webshop. Meaning that I have to learn to go shopping again. Have money on me, not the plastic kind, but the paper and metal stuff that many people are so crazed about... until about 3 hours ago, where I learned that here in Egypt you don't use the internet to order your consumer thingies like groceries and all. Instead you just ring the supermarket, you tell them what you want and within an hour or so they knock on your door and here're the groceries.
Same goes for all the food. Even Mc Donalds delivers and so does KFC, Pizza Hut, the Chinese restaurant and pretty much every other stuff selling instution here in Cairo. Which is very convenient.

Only thing missing is a bank that delivers the money to your home instead of you having to walk over to an ATM. Maybe an idea that I'll whisper in one of our business guys at CIB. Could be groundbreaking.

So, ditch your computer and internet connection and invest in a landline, because that you need for ordering, as they know the address from that.

Untill next post,

Iwan from my apt in Maadi, Cairo. The one in Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment