Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What to do in Luxor when you've seen it all

As you know, well at least when you've read my previous post, I've been in Luxor and was very impressed with all the old stuff around there. As in really old stuff. As in couple of thousand year old old stuff. But there's more in Luxor than just mummies, tombs and temples.

When we went to Luxor we had a very nice program setup by the people at Kingfisher Tours and they made sure that we had a mix of culture and leisure. Mornings were all about culture. But since the sun is rather blazing in Luxor, there is dire need for relaxing time and on the first day, Friday, we had a very nice felucca trip on the Nile. And let me tell you, as soon as the captain of the little sailboat told us to take of our shoes and relax on the benches, it was just Mark and me on the boat, I was gone to dreamy land. Within seconds the little rocking of the boat, the warmth of the Luxorian sun and all the walking that morning ensured that I was going to sleep as sound as a well fed baby.

The second day, Saturday, we took off in the desert, the Sahara of course, on quads. First time ever on a quad for both Mark and me. Although both of my suns have done this before (my oldest has a quad) it was my first time. But cruzin' through the desert on a quad. Feeling the 4 wheel bike skid left and ride while hitting the dusty roads with 200 km/h (that's how it felt anyway) was freakishly awesome. And the best thing of it all, the guides told us up front it would be better to wear shades and a scarf. And they had scarfs and sunglasses for sale as well.
I know, you can do the felucca trip anywhere on the Nile (and you should do this at least once) and every little desert village has a quad safari available (and you should do this at least once as well), it is great to do this in Luxor after a morning of culture.

Until next post...

Iwan

No comments:

Post a Comment